Sunday, October 6, 2013

On the Couch With...Irena

On the couch interview with Irena from Ginger's Garden Soap.
 

.Tell us how you got started?
I started making soaps in 1969 under my mother’s supervision. Before that I only got to watch. Both my mother and grandmother made soap the old fashioned way. I was born in Prague, Czech Republic. I am a third generation Aromatherapist, herbalist, soapmaker & toiletry maker. I'm following in their footsteps. Nowadays we have it easy. Different types of oils, butters, pre-made lye or fragrant oils are more readily available. I still think of magic when I make lotion with yellow or green oils & it comes out white, or when my soap comes to trace, so I can pour it in my mold.

2. Tell us about your products you make?
I make handmade cold process soaps, liquid soaps, lotions and creams with natural ingredients, soothing lip balms, glycerin soap flowers, shaving soaps for men, facial serums with essential oils and dates body scrub made with local organic dates.

3. Do you have a favorite product?
My favorite product is my goat’s milk unscented soap. It makes my skin feel hydrated and soft. My second favorite is my facial serum made with luxury oils and an essential oil blend with pure rose oil and jasmine absolute. It smells wonderful and makes my face feel silky.

4. Do you have any advice for other crafter?
If you are just starting out, start simple, do your research and experiment with small batches. Have a good scale and weigh all your ingredients. Keep good notes, so in case you come up with something you love, you can repeat it.

5. What is the best part of being a business owner?
The best part about being a business owner is that I choose my own hours and I get to make what I love.

6. Is there anything you are working on now? Or any events that you are involved in?
Right now, I am gearing up for the holiday season. I am making lots of soap. Handmade soap needs to cure for 4-6 weeks, so I need to be ahead at least 3 months. I start working for Valentine’s Day in December and Mother’s Day in January.


Handmade Artisan Soaps, Natural Lotions, Glycerin Soap Flowers, Bath & Shower Gel with organic ingredients, Shaving Soaps, Natural Fragrances
www.gingersgarden.com
Gingers-Garden




Thank you for stopping by and what a wonderful and great products.
You can also find her on facebook, twitter and youtube.

2 comments:

David Bend said...

I am always trying to learn more about candles and how to properly use them. This blog really helped me, thank you! :)

David | Scented Candles Online

Avery Schlacter said...

I've been looking for cheap scented candles online so thanks for this blog I'll have to check out what you've got.

My Etsy Shop